Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Origin Story

So I guess its time for the origin story. For the most part, I have only been into comics heavily for the past 5 years.  Specifically, December '05, right after Hurricane Katrina. Before this, I had had comics around, nothing new by any means.  Around '92-'93, I think, my cousin got into comics for a little bit and I read a few of his. This was right around the Death of Superman, and I believe the next Christmas, I was given the Death and Life of Superman which was the novelization of the death of superman, and his return.  I loved that book. I probably read it twice just in the first year.




With my interest in comics rising, my father found me his old collection, and here was when I was introduced to my two favorite characters, still to this day.  The Spirit by Will Eisner, and  The Green Hornet created by Trendle and Striker.  Of course Green Hornet was first meant for the radio back in 1936, and getting his first comic book appearance in 1940. The coincidence here his that The Spirit got his comic book start in 1940 as well. Both very similar characters, but both unique enough in there own right.  The issues seemed been collected over time in the 60s -70s by not only my father but also his brother who was a few years older.  Also collected in here were a few Green Lantern issues from what I recall were from the 70s, and then some Avengers, and a little bit of Marvel stuff thrown around.  Back then I didn't like Green Lantern.  It was just a bit too weird, too much space stuff going on, etc.  And of course now, Hal Jordan is one of my favorite characters around. Back to the early to mid 90s, I started reading some of my dad's collection and was loving it.  As a child of 8-10, I didn't have enough money to buy comics myself so I never really read anything new, so my love for comics actually died shortly after it started. I still liked Superman and Batman, but read very few things for the next decade.

So jump back to August 2005, I had moved out of my parents house for a few years, but I always kept my little collection of comics with me (which mostly included the stuff my dad gave me).  Of course I kept these in a nice plastic box in a closet at my apartment on Canal Blvd in Lakeview, but the hurricane saw fit to floozy that house with 7 feet of water, and like thousands upon thousands of NOLA residents, I lost everything I owned except for the few things I took with me.  Now, after a few months traveling around Tennessee, then to Arkansas, and then to Texas, I was finally back home come late October.

I guess like a number of people, I started to miss my belongings that had been lost, but I noticed that I kept feeling sentimental about the comic books. I don't even remember where I first heard about it, but I heard about this semi-new series called Invincible which was billed as a super hero comic book that really strayed away from the normal super hero themes.  It had a teenage coming into his powers with his father being the protector of Earth, a Superman like character, extremely fast, and strong, etc.   Anyway, December '05, I went to Midtown Comics website and ordered the first volume.  I probably read through it that night, and the next day ordered the next two volumes. The next month, I moved out to Prytania, and lived right above the Creole Creamery.  One day while out there, I took my bike and rode out to Oak Street, where I found More Fun Comics actually open.  I had been there when I was younger, but kind of forgot about it.  Any I walked in and picked up a few issues to get me started again, and had DC, the guy who runs the store, order me volume 1 and 2 of the return of Green Arrow, which were written by Kevin Smith, of Clerks and Mallrats fame.  A few weeks later, I picked up my volumes, started a pull list, and have been showing up there every few weeks ever since. So pretty much five years ago this month, I got addicted to comics.  Through the ups and downs of live, comics are always there, always drawing you in.  Even too this day, I find stuff that I haven't read yet.  Books that are classic to readers who have been following books for years.

2 comments:

  1. Aw man this new "origin" retcon ruined everything about the current Nick storyline forever.

    jk, jk, actually very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, someone had to retcon that shit. It was all messed up.

    ReplyDelete