Sunday, March 6, 2011

Will Eisner's Birthday

Google is celebrating today with this image.


As you some of you may have been able to figure out. Will Eisner is probably my all time favorite comic book writers.  He brought us the first published "Graphic Novel", and got it actually treated like a real book in an age where people believe that comics were only for children.



 These two statues sit on my bookshelf side by side, and they will probably always be that way.  Two my favorite hobbies, comic books and video games, next to each other, but also the definitive icons of the corresponding genres that got me into each of them.  Will Eisner's first volume of Spirit comics, and Zelda, Link's Awakening.  I probably played Zelda and read the first volume of The Spirit within the a year or so of each other.  Both go on nearing 20 years, of still influencing my life.

It brings me plenty of joy to have Google honoring Will Eisner, especially when most people outside of the comic book industry don't know who he is.

Here is Stan Lee interviewing Will Eisner.











On an ending note, here that first comic book published as a whole book and started publishing to accept it as a true medium.  The original printing from 1978 and only 1500 were printed.




3 comments:

  1. The google homage was awesome! And cool pic of your figurines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post (and not just cuz Link is in it!)
    Is that the book you bought? Or didn't, but thought about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @zeldamac
    That is actually my book, and is probably the one i mentioned you that I wanted.

    ReplyDelete